DENVER, Colo. (KRDO) — The town of Denver ordered the USPS processing plant that filters all mail for Colorado and Wyoming to close down as a consequence of a COVID-19 outbreak on the facility on Wednesday evening.
The USPS is preventing again, saying it will not abide by the Denver public well being order as a result of it’s federally owned and complying with all federal and CDC directives associated to COVID-19.
Greater than 900 mail vans ship from Denver’s processing facility, serving about 6.three million folks, which is taken into account the fourth largest within the U.S.
The state of Colorado stated 5 workers have examined optimistic for COVID-19 on the facility.
A spokesperson advised KRDO on Friday that there can be no unfavorable mail circulate impression to southern Colorado associated to “the rumored closure” of the processing plant in Denver.
The Denver USPS facility estimates it handles about 10 million items of mail each day, totaling round 4.5 billion mailed gadgets a 12 months.
In a press release offered to KRDO, USPS defined its reasoning for not shutting down.
“We strongly disagree with the Denver Public Well being order, which was made with no visible verification, with out superior coordination with the crew of postal workers engaged on these points with Denver Public Well being, and with out the understanding of the Postal Service’s substantial, ongoing efforts to guard its workers and the general public.
This closure discover, citing no antagonistic findings, has the potential to impression stimulus checks, prescription medicines, private correspondence, and important items delivered to the greater than 6.5 million clients who dwell in Colorado and Wyoming.
We now have offered Denver Public Well being the required documentation to fulfill their inquiry and are assured the order can be rescinded.”
The USPS is designated as a vital operate beneath federal regulation throughout the pandemic. The postal service stated amongst different gadgets it ships requirements together with drugs, meals and different items deemed important to the nation’s infrastructure.
Beneath are a number of the COVID-19 precautions USPS claims it has adopted at its services:
- Required Postal Service workers put on face coverings whereas at work, when correct social distancing can’t be achieved.
- Requiring Postal Service workers to make use of face coverings whereas at work in our retail services in native and state jurisdictions which have applied orders requiring use of face coverings by people inside these jurisdictions.
- Requesting clients use face coverings whereas in our retail services situated in jurisdictions which have applied orders requiring use of face coverings by people inside these jurisdictions.
- Reinforcing office behaviors to make sure that contact amongst our workers and with our clients displays the very best steerage concerning wholesome interactions, social distancing, and danger minimization. We now have applied measures at retail services and mail processing services to make sure applicable social distancing, together with by way of signage, ground tape, and “cough/sneeze” boundaries. We now have modified supply procedures to get rid of the requirement that clients signal our Cellular Supply Units for supply. For elevated security, workers will politely ask the client to step again a protected distance or shut the display door/door in order that they could depart the merchandise within the mail receptacle or applicable location by the client door. On the Denver Processing and Distribution Middle, social distancing measures are communicated each day and enforced.
- Up to date our cleansing insurance policies to make sure that all cleansing happens in a way in line with CDC steerage referring to this pandemic.
- Up to date our depart insurance policies to permit liberal use of depart and to subsequently give our workers the power to remain house at any time when they really feel sick, should present dependent care, or every other qualifying issue beneath the Households First Coronavirus Response Act. We now have entered into agreements with our unions to supply 80 hours of paid depart to non-career workers for points associated to COVID-19, and have expanded the definition of sick depart for dependent look after coated workers to cope with the closures of main and secondary faculties throughout the nation.
- Expanded using telework for these workers who’re capable of carry out their jobs remotely.
- Issuing a each day cadence of worker talks, articles, movies, and different communications to make sure workers have the most recent info and steerage.
— to krdo.com